Friday, October 15, 2010

Faves!

Oh, I am so tired today. It was snowing after being 23 degrees yesterday and therefore my body is kind of messed up. I seem to be partial to mood swings during freaky weather changes (or so I say, but I'm kind of always bitchy). But one of my followers is also a good friend and has been ever-so-gently inquiring (read - nagging) as to whether I have updated my blog yet. It's kind of funny that she's pushing so hard since everything I'm going to write she has already probably heard, but that is a good friend for you.

Since I'm kind of spent from a family soccer game in the basement during which I incured 4 injuries and Middle Child about ten (amazingly Spouse and Daughter came out scott-free, but that's because they just don't play with the same heart. BOF prematurely fell asleep, in case you're wondering, which means I have a 5:30 a.m. wake-up call to look forward to!), I'm just going to do another survey I found in our local city magazine that features all the hipsters about town. I have a love-hate relationship with this mag. I enjoy catching up on the trends and arts scene I left behind so long ago. I hate that I'm running out of time to make their annual 40 under 40 list, and I hate that I hate that. But anyway, since I'll never actually be asked for an interview on my innate coolness, I'm going to pretend this post is really an email from an editor there and fulfill my posting duties for the weekend (will that get you off my back, Snarky Sister? xoxo).

FAVOURITES:
Drink:
Vodka. It's a mommy's best friend! Because the kids aren't supposed to be able to smell it on your breath! But experience tells me otherwise! Followed quite closely by red wine. The cheaper the better so I don't feel guilty using it as a crutch.

Restaurant
This blog isn't so long yet that you can't catch up. Obviously from last post I don't get out much, though I really did enjoy a little Italian place we went to on our biannual date night (and the bar after? totally lame. I so don't miss being an insecure 20 year old. I just wanted to hug them all and tell them, "Sweethearts, you are so not fat right now. Stop being so hung up on your body and whether everyone is looking at you and finding you sexy and just go have a freaking good time before you breed." Seriously, aging has its privileges and not giving a shit what most people are thinking is one of them!). Most of the time when we go out, it's a toss up between our regular Greek place or our regular Italian place. That's when we're not going somewhere that gives us free crayons and a placemat we can decorate, of course.

Music
Is there such a thing as alternative anymore? Does that even exist now? Because it did in the nineties, but most of the groups that fell under that category are now flippin' millionires. And dance. And retro. And rock. But given that Daughter has taken over the music selection these days, we listen to a lot of tween stuff and radio edits, though I am very proud to say that my girl "hates" Justin Bieber. She is so cool! (Way cooler than me because I totally went to the NKOB concert last year.)

Song
You already know I'm lame so I'm just going to admit that it's "Careless Whisper" by George Michael while he was still technically with Wham! It just brings out the junior high neurotic in me.

Treat
I'm a girl so I like chocolate.

Car
I'm not superficial so I don't much care about that kind of thing.

Bahahahahahaha.

Book
Oh, way too many to name but some that come to mind quickly are Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance, and Vikram Seth's A Beautiful Boy. Yes, these are all Indian books. No, I don't do yoga nor do I have much desire to go to India (too sad, too sad), but I love a good epic story about people who really never win and will just suffer until they die, and the cathartic tears that follow.

Fragrance
I can only wear one fragrance that does not give me a headache and that is "Pleasures" by Estee Lauder. I hate the name (it's kind of icky) but when I'm dead, a whiff of this will remind my husband and sons of me. I will make sure to spray it in every drawer in the house if I am ever terminally ill to ensure they properly honour my memory with enough tears and remorse and my bitchy daughters-in-law don't get too smug over my demise.

Shop
Online. I can browse to my heart's content.

Art
My sister-in-law's. She's a craftster and a photographer and she ups my cool quotient a tonne because I can't really name any modern artists and I don't want to say something lame again like Monet or Degas (even though I had a tonne of prints of their stuff that I used to buy in this store called Athena way back in the day).

Designer
Oh, well I love Gucci and LAMB's cool and Valentino's a classic, obviously, and I think Marc Jacobs is just the bomb. But mostly I slum it at the Gap.

Accessory
My engagement and wedding rings. Because dammit, I EARNED those.

I guess the benefit of not actually being asked by the hipster mag to fill out the survey is that I'm obviously not limited to a word count. I have also come to the conclusion that aside from having children, this blog is the most self-centered and egotistical project I've ever undertaken.

Happy Friday to those of you who can distinguish workdays from weekends!

1 comment:

mary said...

Thanks for a good chuckle friend!